Lallemand Belle Saison yeast is the first & only true Saison yeast strain available in dry form. For those unfamiliar with Saison-style beers, they are considered the classic "Farmhouse" beer style, with characteristic fruity, estery and spicy/peppery notes that are directly attributable to the Saison yeast strain. The unique fermentation of this style is notable; it is fermented very warm, with temperatures typically in the range of 80-90 °F (26-32 °C). This makes Saison an excellent choice for homebrewing as no cooling is required, and in fact many brewers cover their fermenters with insulating blankets to capture the heat created during fermentation towards nurturing flavor and aroma production. Saison is one of the fastest-growing styles in the craft brewing market, with new variations such as Black Saison and Wit Saison being developed. Belle Saison is a strong fermenter, with fast start-of fermentation time and great ethanol tolerance.
- Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 5 days above 17 °C (63 °F).
- High attenuation and high alcohol tolerance.
- Low flocculation rate; settling can be promoted by cooling and by using fining agents and isinglass.
- Saison beers are quite unique to brew. During fermentation, cooling is not normally used, allowing temperature of fermentation to increase.
- Aroma is fruity, spicy and peppery due to ester and phenol production, and does not display undesirable odours when properly handled.